Saturday, April 22, 2017

Coco Reviews When Calls The Heart: Seasons one and Two

Okay, so this show is ridiculous. When I initially started watching the first episode, I couldn't even get through it, but then I forced myself to finish and I... kind of like it? Though I recognize that it is terrible...


If you are unfamiliar with When Calls The Heart, it is a Canadian show that currently airs on The Hallmark Channel. The first three seasons are currently on Netflix (in the US). It stars some lady I haven't seen in anything else, the guy from another not great show called Last Resort, and Aunt Becky from Full House. Main Lady plays a school teacher in Canada in the... I don't know, early 1900s? Anyway, she leaves her cushy life in [Major Canadian City] and moves to [Canadian Wilderness] to teach all these kids in some crappy coal mining town that recently suffered through a coal mine collapse that killed like half the town. Main Lady's rich dad somehow is able to arrange it so a Mountie (Generic Hot Guy from Last Resort) has to move to this lame town in the wilderness (which he bitches about NON STOP for the first few episodes, he liked the fast paced city crime and working in a dumb coal mining town is boring. I can't really fault him on this). Aunt Becky plays basically the town's mayor, only she's not actually mayor, she's just the person all the townspeople look up to and follow. Aunt Becky lost her son and husband in the mines.

The show itself is just SO boring, I mean, I know it's Hallmark Channel but I am into season 3 now and the two main characters (who, spoiler alert, fall in love) have kissed like twice. I'm not expecting a full on bang sesh, but there's slow burn romance and then there's... whatever this garbage is.

The main character is SO dumb. In the first episode she burns the house she's staying in down because she is incapable of (a) doing her own laundry and (b) cooking for herself. Also she is an idiot. She does stupid stuff and gets herself in trouble all the time and it's somehow STILL SO BORING.

Also, I think months must pass between each episode! They take the train from the major city to this town several times in the span of a few episodes, and even though the towns have fake names, I have looked at Google Images to see where they are supposed to be located and they are like on the complete opposite sides of Canada! The train doesn't even go all the way out to this coal town, you have to switch off to a horse and carriage at some point along the journey! But still, they travel back and forth all the time like it's no big thing. Later on in season one (or maybe season 2, I don't remember now) Jack Wagner shows up a a detective from the same town that the Mountie and the Main Character happen to be from, and he bounces back and forth more than anybody. Also what brought him out there? Didn't they have any closer detectives to investigate whatever he was doing???

I have a friend who watched Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and love it and described When Calls The Heart as a way more boring and less good version of that.

Bottom line: it kind of sucks but I also kind of love it. If you like bland shows about old timey white people thinking really hard about making out but never actually doing it, this is the show for you. Once I finish season 3 (which will be a good long while since I can't watch more than one or two episodes of this at a time) I might update with another review.

No comments:

Post a Comment